Indirect speech:
Also called reported speech, is a way of reporting what someone said without using their exact words. It is used to convey the meaning of what someone said without directly quoting them.
Indirect speech is often used when we are reporting on events that have already happened, or when we are summarizing someone's speech. It can also be used to express our own opinions or beliefs about what someone said.
Here are some rules for using indirect speech:
- The reporting verb is usually in the past tense, even if the original speaker used the present tense. This is because we are reporting on something that has already happened.
- The subject and object pronouns may change, depending on the relationship between the speaker and the reporter. For example, if the original speaker says "I am going to the store," the reporter might say "He said that he was going to the store."
- Time and place expressions may also change, depending on the context. For example, if the original speaker says "I will be there tomorrow," the reporter might say "She said that she would be there the next day."
+ Direct speech: "I am going to the store" said my mother.
Indirect speech: My mother told me that she was going to the store.
+ Direct speech: "I love cats" said my friend.
Indirect speech: My friend said that she loves cats.
+ Direct speech: "What is your name?" asked the stranger.
Indirect speech: The stranger asked me what my name was.


.png)
Comments
Post a Comment